Monday, March 06, 2006

Gee

Good Evening.*

It comes as no surprise to any of you that I have a fondness for words. I like to play with them. Roll them 'round in sonorous sentences. Stack them slyly in perilous paragraphs. Bat them playfully around the room until they get stuck under the bookcase, then lie in the sun until I get fed again.**

And I have recently noticed that some of my favorite words are falling into disuse. I've noticed this, because my use of them has been met with reactions ranging from snorts of surprise, to querilous stares not unlike those of a dog watching a card trick.

And interestingly enough, all three words start with the same letter.

I would like to take this moment to request your aid in bringing these words back into favour*** in our everyday lexicon.

I think you will find this triad of tired terms to be both delightful and adventuresome:****

Guff
Gumption
Galoot


These are good words, strong and proud. They've served our language well, and deserve a better fate than to be tossed aside like so much linguistic litter. They deserve a better fate than snozzle, swoopstake, and gardyloo.****

So, as a favor to me: the next time someone gives you some guff, tell them not to give it to you. All it takes is some gumption, ya big galoot!*****

Thank you, and good night*

Yeharr

*Or morning or afternoon, as the case may be.
**I think that last one might actually refer to my cats.
***A show of solidarity with my cohorts in the Commonwealths.
****Why, no, I haven't been drinking. Why do you ask?
*****Admittedly, our modern septic system has left gardyloo in the lurch, but really, what a word!
******Now that you mention it, I suppose I could use a little more sleep...

9 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Galoot is what I scream at useless football players who are big and useless.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

To their faces, Daniel?

Yeharr

2:22 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

galoot makes me think of some old lady hitting a guy with her purse, or some nerdy woman trying to hit on a really hot guy. those two women would say galoot

9:39 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

See? That's just the sort of thing that we've got to fight against. Anyone can use galoot. It's a liberating word.

Yeharr

11:46 AM  
Blogger Dear Lovey Heart said...

woohoo yeah for words that are awesome !

1:17 PM  
Blogger mal said...

Galumphing along are we?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Mal--I've gyred and gimbled on many a wabe, and not once have I seen a borogrove that was even remotely mimsy.

And don't get me started on the mome raths!

Outgrabe, my ass!

Yeharr

4:50 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

No, via the medium of TV.

5:24 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Good words. I like them, too. I use a lot of weird words in the classroom and my kids tend to look them up because they don't like not knowing what I mean. Words are cool!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home