Saturday, October 07, 2006

Message Delivered


My son spilled his chocolate milk.

Cleaning up delayed us between three and five minutes.

So we ran to the movie theater.

One of the cool things about my neighborhood, as I've mentioned before, is the plethora of things to do within walking distance.*

Tonight we were going to the movies. The theater was just around the corner from the house. We could make it if we ran.

My kids changed their clothes, jammed their feet into their sneakers, and we sprinted out the door. We heard the sound of sirens as we ran up the street. The cop car pulled up in front of the Cinema and stayed there, blocking our view of the front.

We stopped across the street. "What happened?" I asked a woman standing on the street.

"A car lost control and slammed into that pole in front of the Cinema."

We got as close as we could. The pole was sitting about a foot deep into the car's grille. The cops were just getting there. This meant the accident happened about three to five minutes ago.

Had my son not spilled his chocolate milk, we probably would have been right on that corner when the car hit.

This is the second automobile accident that I've been close to in the past three weeks. I've been debating whether or not to take my van into the shop to check on a strange vibration.

The van's going into the shop on Monday.

Yeharr

*Even though we've moved since this post, we're still in the same neighborhood.

12 Comments:

Blogger Madame X said...

I'm just amazed that you all were able to get out of the house in 5 minutes!
You actually knew where the sneakers were and everything.
I am impressed and envious.
I am also very glad that your "Messy Marvin" spilled his milk!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes, pirate... that's scary.

i'm with mx, tho -- i can hardly ever get myself out of the house that fast, so i can't imagine doing that with kids!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

It's much easier when we're going to a movie they really wanted to see.

However, we are working on getting things done in a timely fashiom.

Yeharr

1:14 PM  
Blogger Dark Lady said...

It takes my children 10 minutes to just get out of the car.
We're working on keeping shoes and socks on while riding in the car.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

yep
definately a message

just count your blessings and move on...don't dwell

but, definately listen

10:56 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

and glad he spilled his milk

10:56 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Damn. Can you actually feel that horseshoe when you sit down????

I truly don't know how much I believe in luck. But I'm really really happy that you got a chance to write about this.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

One more reason not to cry over spilled milk. I hope the driver was ok.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow,a close one. I have a similar story from work a couple of months ago. It involved a large baggage bin and me doing my walkaround. Maybe I will post it...

You weren't meant to be on that corner at that time. That's just how it is.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture is brilliant, reminds me of my trips to the US.

1:10 PM  
Blogger ell said...

that is freakin creepy....

count your blessings pirate.

2:03 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

yeah

no crying over spilled milk here

wow

that is way to eerie

that would give me the creeps for weeks

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home