Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Holding Sway

Got This in my in box today:

Hi,
I just found your Who's The Boss?-related blog entry:
http://yeharr.blogspot.com/2006/08/maximizing-ones-potential.html and I think you may be of some help to me. I'm reaching out to you on behalf of M80 & Anchor Bay Entertainment regarding Three's Company: Season 8 on DVD, the final season on television. Since you blogged about Who's The Boss?, I thought that you might be interested in posting the press release or a review of the DVD on your blog? You seem like a reputable influencer, so I think you'd be a big help to us. For your help orreview, I would be happy to send you a copy of Three's Company: Season 8 on DVD.
Please let me know if you're interested!
Thanks!
Jorge, M80
jorge@m80im.com
www.m80im.com / www.m80teams.com



Wow. A little TonyDanza goes a long way.

I considered altering the website and email address, but I figure an unsolicited promotional email such as this doesn't need to be shielded. If any of you out there want in on this booty, go ahead.

And since they want my review, I'll give it to them for free: I think Three's Company is like lemon soup: Even if you like it, you only want a little bit at any one time.

You gotta give them credit, though. It is an interesting new development in marketing. And it shows the growing power of the blogosphere. When someone goes to the effort to try to exploit something, it's a good indicator of two things: The endeavor is successful, and the endeavor's Golden Age is just about over.

For those of you who haven't heard my definition of the phrase 'Golden Age,' it is this: The time between the mastery of the medium by its users, and the replacement of those users by those who wish only to exploit the medium for its maximum financial gain.

In other words: between when folks really figure out how to use something, and when the money folks take it over. It's otherwise known as "Nothing Fails Like Success."

So, for example, television's Golden Age began when people like Sid Ceasar, Ernie Kovacs, Paddy Chayefsky and Rod Serling began doing truly interesting work, and ended about when Ceasar was forced out because he did too many 'highbrow' jokes.

As far as I know, no one else has defined the modern 'Golden Age' like this. It's these sorts of insights that have made me a 'reputable influencer.'

It really is kind of cool that I can just mention something on my blog, and someone, somewhere, wants to send me things just because I talked about it. On the other hand, it was just this one time, and it certainly isn't going to change the way I write, just because someone might send me something I mention.

So, what else is going on in my life?

Well, there was something funny that happened just yesterday:

I was taking some of my gold bullion for a drive in my BMW 760 Li. We were going over to Jennifer Aniston's house, when I saw my old friend Inground Swimming Pool.

"Hey, Inground!" I called out to him, "When are you going to send me those season tickets to the Pittsburgh Steelers that you promised me?"

Inground put down his snifter of Talisker Skye 25-year old single malt whiskey and shouted back: "Right after you finish working on that new Steven Speilberg movie!"

That ol' Inground's so funny. Good times.

Yeharr

10 Comments:

Blogger Åsa said...

Hey! How cool! You influence people!

There are many times when I’m out in Bloggland that I get so happy. There is hope for this world with so many smart and/or caring people out there.

Ps. I hope they at least send you the Steelers tickets

1:24 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Wow...that SO explains some of the emails I've been getting!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

maybe you should mention lays

lots of chips for tuna casserole
;)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Okay, so for sure, like without a doubt, this means that Johnny Depp's people are going to come and get me.

By his people, I mean like, Bob Dylan, Tim Burton, and the ghosts of Hunter S Thompson and Marlon Brando.

If I don't post anything for awhile, I'm being interrogated somewhere in France. Please come find me. Bring Jennifer if you must.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

åsa: you're right, the Steelers tickets would be my first choice. Maybe they could send me a pair, and I'd take Jennifer.

Unless you're available...

X: It doesn't explain the ones you get from me, though...

Colleen: Naah. I'd mention the Cape Cod chips. Go for the good stuff, right?

Heidi: waitaminnit. You're in the south of France with Johnny Depp, and you want me to come and rescue you? Snap out of it, woman!

Besides, Jennifer won't go (she heard Brad might be there....)

Yeharr

3:39 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

too funny

ghar, har, har!!!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a reputable influencer? wow. what a cool title!


i suddenly feel like i need to talk like a pirate (since i didn't on the big day itself.)

yeharr

10:21 PM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Well – it just happened so that I am available…

10:46 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Are you taking them up on the offer?

Wait a minute, Three's a Company DVD for blogging about Who's the Boss? If you really want those Steelers tickets, maybe you should blog about the Eagles.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Okay, so I'm in the south of France being interrogated by the ghost of Marlon Brando.

Leave me here anyways. If I get a chance to see Johnny Depp I'll beg him to read my amazing novel, that I wrote, all by myself, which is really good. I'll hitch a ride home with Brad Pitt in his airplane.

oooo I can't wait to see what kind of emails I'll get now!!!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home