Friday, January 19, 2007

Entertainment Preview:

Something that makes me happy:


Thank God You're Here will be coming to American Television this spring. I hope NBC doesn't fuck it up. For those who aren't familiar with this show, 'TGYH' is a modified improv show, where a celebrity guest actor gets dropped into an unknown scene, and then has to improvise his or her way out. Each scene begins with the phrase "Thank God You're Here." Hence the title. The US show will star Wayne Knight (Newman from 'Seinfeld'), Bryan Cranston (Hal, the dad on 'Malcom in the Middle'), Jennifer Coolidge (Stifler's Mom), and Joel McHale (from 'The Soup', which I didn't even know was still on, and haven't watched since it was called 'Talk Soup' and starred Greg Kinnear).

Something that makes me sad:

A decade or so, I had to sit and listen to a man go on and on about how black men can't be racist. It was one of the rare times I was wise enough to keep my mouth shut. I also didn't ask him if they could be sexist. I'd love to find that guy and ask him what he thinks of Eddie Murphy.

yeharr

9 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

b-log: I love improv. In all its forms. I can't understand why Americans, with their love of unscriptied 'reality' shows, doesn't seem to like improv comedy.

Maybe they just didn't like Drew Carey any more.

yeharr

2:26 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

That show is brilliant! I actually snickered out loud! And now I'm feeling kinda hungry for some sahrtay sauce.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Ok now I just watched the other one.

Gahhhhhh I'm so sick of unfunny movies.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Oh, and another thing...

really sick of that song.

over and out.

3:04 PM  
Blogger terry said...

"unifed..." hahahaha. i doubt that anyone could make that joke on american tv. i guess they could, but few would get it.

and so nice to see eddie making fun of fat people again. in addition to asians.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Balloon Pirate! What a good show!!! Cool that you are getting it too. Lot’s of great actors and actresses in the US. We have a Swedish improve show about politics. It’s very funny and very popular. It’s like a panel with one right wing and one left wing. Some of them are hysterical!

This might be the beginning for more improve job-opportunities in the US?!

Everybody can be racists. That guy just didn’t know many people – did he?

Have a nice weekend!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

The Soup is a pretty good show. I like how they just show highlights of all the crappy shows, so I don't have to suffer through them.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Americans themselves love unscripted reality shows because of the 'cringe quality' they love to see another person make a fool of themself.

I think the reason improv hasn't made a huge mark on American TV is because the actors who are truly remarkable at improv are not always FACE actors and sponsers only want a NAME and FACE to attach their money to.

I love improv but many of my actor friends are terrified of it.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

We're all racist...

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home