Sunday, January 07, 2007

And it's over.

Except for the cleaning. The tree's down. The lights are off. Another Christmas Past.

Someone in our church lives in Shortsville. Yes, that's a name of a town. I should talk, living as I do in Swillburg. They have a bonfire for the Feast of the Epiphany. We brought our tree along:


It blazed brilliantly for a few minutes, but it was over rather quickly.

Kind of like the holidays in general.

And, of course, no Epiphany feast is complete without a lightsaber battle:
Yes, my son wears shorts in January.

Screw it. I'm too tired to even try to be witty tonight.

OK--I'm a little less tired now. Getting the tree to the bonfire was a little bit tricky. I tied the tree to the roof of my van, exactly the same way I did when I brought it home. So there I was, driving along with a Christmas tree on my roof, at 6pm on a Saturday night. Maybe they thought my calendar was slow or something.

Here's the thing: for some reason, tying a used Christmas tree onto the roof of a van in the exact same way I got it home doesn't work. The damn thing kept falling off. On the highway. In the dark. It was sure fun getting it back on!

No, it wasn't. Unless someone changed the meaning of the word 'fun' to include 'scratching up your arms and getting resin all over your hands while trying to retie an unweildy eight-foot tall/five foot diameter hunk of lumber onto the roof of a van in the rain by the light of a surprisingly large number of fast-moving cars on the road at six pm on a Saturday.' If that's the case, then yes, it was fun.

Eventually, I stuffed the damned thing inside.

yeharr

7 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

ooh, fire.

i love the lightsaber, coats, and shorts. looks like a good time was had.

3:27 AM  
Blogger mal said...

*L* I can see you chasing your errant Christmas tree down the road!

yup, light sabers, a definite holiday tradition

12:11 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Any two hand lightsabre action?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Madame X said...

What's the name of the John Cusak movie?
The one in which one of the characters drives around in a cadilac with a dried up old Christmas tress on the top?

One Crazy Summer?

That's what this post reminds me of!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

So, Darth Vader was one of the wise men????

I am so glad you had a good weekend!!!!!

no really, I am. thanks for sharing...I needed that!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Sounds like a fun evening, except for the tree-haulin' part!

2:01 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

"Eventually, I stuffed the damned thing inside."

i see a vacuum cleaner in your future

my tree is half height and artificial, so i will just put it away and give it back to my Mom...

not as much fun as burning it

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home