Thursday, July 12, 2007

You Can Never Stay Mad at Ice Cream

The kids and I will be at a secure, undisclosed Finger Lake for the next seven days, and I will be unavailable for comments. So I thought I would end this week with a few pictures of what I did last weekend.

My Uncle turned 80, so we all went down to his little town just outside of Pittsburgh for a party. My mom came up from Florida, and my brother went down from his Upstate NY home, along with his two youngest daughters.

That's my bro. As I've mentioned before, one of us got the looks, one of us got the brains.

He pissed me off quite a bit on this trip. On the way down to a place I've been to maybe three times in the past 15 years, I got lost. Actually, I didn't really get lost; Google Maps gave me the wrong directions. I called my cousin for help (I was just a few miles away from his house when this happened), but he didn't answer his phone, so I called my brother, who was staying with him.

ME: Is [Cousin] there?
HIM: Yes. What do you need?
ME: I need to speak to [Cousin]. Can you get him?
HIM: Is there something I can help you with?
ME: Yes. You can give the phone to [Cousin].

I had to explain to him that, had I been lost in upstate NY, I would certainly ask him for directions, but since I was a few miles from my cousin's house, I would prefer to ask him for directions. Why the hell can't he just do what I ask, just once in his life?

Enough about him. Let's move on.


That's m'uncle (it's how it's pronounced), macking on the fruit salad. I told him this is how I will always remember him.

Mom. This is the first time her hair's been its natural color since 1969. I still remember when she started dyeing it. That's another story.

My cuz and my daughter shooting hoops. She's four days short of two years younger than her brother, but only 1" shorter. I'm thinking scholarships already.


The morning before the party, my kids and my brother's kids were put to work slicing the buns for the cookout. My son remarked that he was only going to eat hamburgers, since the last time he had a hot dog he threw up. My daughter pointed out that he also threw up one time after eating ice cream, but still eats that. My son's response is the title of this post. It was either going to be the name of a blog post or a country and western song, and I'm not a songwriter.

It was quite breezy in the pavilion, and the plastic tablecloths were billowing up and blowing off the tables. The grownups were running around, jamming thumbtacks into the sides of the tables, trying to keep them from blowing away, but the wind would quickly rip the thin plastic away from the tacks. We started looking for more tacks, but then I saw my son, calmly poking holes in the tablecloth at regular intervals, allowing the air to escape, and keeping the tablecloths on the tables. I'm thinking scholarship already.

I wonder if Harvard has a water balloon team?
I discovered that I had a plethora of relatives.

Here we are assembling for the family photo.


See if you can spot the Pirate.The white-haired gentleman in the chair is m'uncle Roy. He's had some physical problems, but he's still quite a charmer.
But these were my favorite relatives there:

They're so white. But I love 'em.

See ya in a week.

yeharr

9 Comments:

Blogger United We Lay said...

The kids are cute! Have a great week.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Guy Wonders said...

I hope you have a great, relaxing time. I've been to the Finger Lakes region several times, myself. It's a beautiful piece of country. It remains most notable to me because of a close encounter with a tornado near Watkins Glen. . . .

8:44 AM  
Blogger mal said...

Brothers can be annoying...and a joy. Go figure *L*

It sounds like your daughter is an Amazon in training? WAY COOL!! If she ever gets down on being tall just remind her that being an Amazon has LOTS of advantages *G*

I have never been to the Finger Lakes region but I do hear lots of great things about it. ENJOY!!!

I am assuming the Pirate is the cuddly looking curly hair fella in the black polo shirt? *G*

10:16 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

"they're so white but i love them"

rofl and pointing it out to friend sitting beside me who says 'that's hilarious'

happy lovely day in the park sir

6:20 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Hey,
I moved my site to Wordpres at this address: http://unitedwelay1.wordpress.com/

10:37 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

cool pics!

6:28 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i just love your writing. you are a brilliant writer.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Thanks for sharing all the images, lovely stuff.

4:16 PM  
Blogger fatrobot said...

all my relatives are alaskan king crabs

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home