Sunday, June 24, 2007

Memories

What's your earliest memory?

Mine is sitting outside, in my high chair, on the patio of our house on Sterling Street. My dad loved the outdoors, so when the weather was good we ate outside at the picnic table in the back yard. Even at this early point in my life, it was fairly routine.

But what made this day different happened after dinner. Presents! For me! It was my birthday! The total surprise tells me I didn't have much experience with this kind of day, so it was probably one of my first three. We can pretty much eliminate the first one, since I remember knowing what presents were, and being able to rip open the paper. So it was my second or third birthday. I've got a hunch that it was my second. I'm a fast learner, and expect that I had it figured out by the time I was three. So that means it happened exactly forty-six years ago Monday.

I've always said that June 25 is the best day of the year to have a birthday, because I'm never more than six months away from a present. However, this year will most likely be a bit different, since I dropped my kids off to camp Sunday afternoon. I won't see them again until Saturday.

So, a birthday alone. It's not the worst thing in the world. I think I'll celebrate by cleaning the floor in the dining room. (I mopped the kitchen--twice--as soon as I got home. Do you have any idea how cool it's going to be to have a clean floor stay clean for a whole freaking week!?)

And if you want to give me a present--tell me your earliest memory. Hell, why not make it a meme, and post it on your website? Hell, tag some people too. For me.

My very first meme. Now that's a cool present.

yeharr

13 Comments:

Blogger Åsa said...

Ja må han leva! Ja må han leva! Ja må han leva uti hundrade år!

Happy Fantastic Birthday you wonderful man you! Sending you lots of b-day hugs through Cyber Space :-)

One of my first memories is my fourth birthday: the gifts and listening for my sister's kicks in my mom's belly.

xxooxx

3:09 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

I dont know what my first memory was. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Happy Birthday!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

happy birthday

one of my earliest memories is getting spanked by a neighbor while she was babysitting me. i remembered i laughed at her while she did it. i was about 2 or 3

i was a fun child. LOL

8:50 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

hrm first memory

i am old enough now that it's hard to differentiate real memories from movies and photos i've seen of my own life

i think i remember chasing muffett (collie) around the house (we had one of those living rooms with the kitchen stuck in one corner and you could go in circles for hours.

i can't be more than three because she was murdered when i was three so... guess that's it.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Nölff said...

I remember getting beat up by a mean black girl at the sand box.

2:46 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Happy Birthday! My first memory is in black and white and I'm cliimbing out of some sort of crib or play pen.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Happy Birthday!!!

I remember being at storytime in the library -- I think I was three. As I grew older I recalled many memories from that year, so my sisters and mother started teasing me "you must've been THREE when that happened...ha ha ha"

7:13 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Happy Birthday buddy!

(this can't surprise you but one of my first memories is three black hooves and one white one. The other memory I have is standing on the patio at the back of the house and feeling the sun on my shoulders. Let's hear it for patios and sunshine!)

9:12 PM  
Blogger terry said...

happy, happy birthday! (it's still your birthday here. i'm not technically late. yet.)

earliest memory... hard to say. like sass, i get my actual memories confused with pics and stories i've been told.

i do have a vague memory of being very little and crawling under the christmas tree to look up at the lights and decorations. i have always enjoyed shiny things, apparently...

too bad you're not here to share some shiny birthday wine.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Guy Wonders said...

Happy Birthday, BP - May you have many more good memories to come. . . .

6:23 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Earliest memory is of me sitting in what used to be called a carseat, how safe it actual was is debatable, riding in the car with my mom while we drove my dad to work. The carseat was blue and it had a Humpty Dumpty plastic doll attached to it. I don't remember my sister being there so maybe I was a year old or maybe I just blocked my sister out of my memory which is far more plausable!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

You are EXACTLY 11 1/2 years older than me.

Unless I'm bad with the math...

7:41 PM  
Blogger Snow White said...

Happy Belated Birthday.

I'm not sure about my earliest memory... I'm not sure if I remember it, or just think I do from pictures and stories.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home