Friday, December 30, 2005

And the Outcome...

After a day spent in consternation, conversation and (emotional) constipation, I decided that it would not be in my best interests to let STBEW back into the house.

No shit.*

I spend a few hours of company time rehearsing, in my mind, exactly what I'm going to say to her. I don't know why I do this, I just do. You would think that after all the history I have with this woman, I would know that, no matter how many variations on a theme I can come up with in my mind, what happens in real life always leaves me nonplussed.

Today was a case in point.

About 20 minutes from the end of the day she calls. A little bit of history here: when my wife calls me, she doesn't talk. I'm not kidding. She'll call me, and after saying hello, she'll just not speak. For extended periods of time. And this is what happened today.

So, I'm about to tell her she can't stay, when she suddenly explains that she's got an extra month in the current apartment, which means she can get processed into the next place in an orderly fashion, and won't be needing to stay with me after all.

Sheesh.

I'm glad, and all, but I'm kind of disappointed too. I really think it will be good for me to start telling her no. On the other hand, why can't I still?

A pre-emptive strike: if this falls through, she'll have to look elsewhere for support.

Let's see if I actually do it.

Yeharr

*hence, the constipation.

6 Comments:

Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

I wish you had gotten to say no.

You made a good decision -- hope that doesn't come up again for your sake

6:32 AM  
Blogger mal said...

a good outcome *S*

8:08 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Wise move.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Daniel:

What is that in your picture? Is that an animal?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

shame you didn't get to say no. that would have been therapeutic. but, a big WHEW!

i was in a similar situation an ex ago myself. he cheated, brought the bitch into my house, but when we broke up i couldn't kick him out because he would have to quit school and he was 4 months from graduation (and i wanted to save money by not having to pay full rent in miami). so we shared a 2 bedroom apartment in separate rooms. it was hell, but it was fun making his life hell too. and i saved a boatload of cash. but felt like a doormat. not one of my finest moments.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

And the crowd goes wild.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home