Thursday, January 05, 2006

I'm So Out of It

...regardless of what 'it' happens to be.

Case in point: the following headline link I saw on a sidebar:

'Mimi,' from Carey, tops sales for '05

I had absolutely no idea what that meant. I did not realize that Mariah Carey released a CD called "The Emancipation of Mimi" this year. I swear to God, the only thing that came into my mind when reading that was Kathy Kinney, who played "Mimi' on the Drew Carey Show, had somehow landed a job in advertising.

Read it again with that assumption. It makes as much sense. "Mimi (Kathy Kinney) from Carey (The Drew Carey Show) tops sales for '05 (She hasn't gotten much air time since the show ended--ya gotta make a living somehow)."

Not being a big fan of Ms. Carey has its drawbacks in the world of pop culture.

However, I do know enough about her to hazard the following:

I'm guessing the 'Mimi' in the title is probably Mariah herself, and this is a 'theme' album about her own 'emancipation' from something. I'm guessing that the 'emancipation' has something to do with her career--a record deal, management, or something.

While the definition of 'emancipate' merely means 'to set free or liberate,' and can be applied to just about any situation where someone is relieved from constraint, the common usage of 'emancipation,' at least here in the United States, implies a release from slavery, as in Lincoln's 'Emancipation Proclamation.'

A woman from Long Island, who got her start in the business because she married* a record executive named Tommy Mottola who was decades older than she, who made millions of dollars from those albums her husband produced, and does not need to work a day in her life again if she doesn't want to, has no business talking about 'emancipation' just because her previous album tanked.

Of course, I may be wrong.

I'd like to hear what Kathy Kinney has to say about it.

Yeharr

*'married' was not the first verb I put here, but I'm trying to be less epithetical these days.

8 Comments:

Blogger mal said...

I am not a Mariah fan either. On the other hand, I have never understood people who intentionally seek celebrity for its own end and not as a byproduct of their works

Now, can we pick on Brittney too? Puhleeeeze?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I kinda like your epithets.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Well, maybe someday we'll get together and I'll maledict you.

Yeharr

10:30 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

And Mal--I honestly don't know enough about that piece of human fluff to pick on.

Yeharr

10:34 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Sorry for stealing your phrase BP, you inspire me man!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Sorry? Hell, I'm honored!

Yeharr

10:49 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Yeharr!

7:56 AM  
Blogger elaine said...

Apparently, if you like that sort of thing*, the emancipation of mimi is quite good**.

It would have been a much more interesting story if it was the way you told it.

* which I don't
** or so I've heard.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home