Monday, May 15, 2006

Greetings from Swillburg!

That's the name of my new neighborhood.

The name dates back to the mid 1800's when the city's most prominent pig farmer would travel the neighborhood's narrow streets, picking up the garbage to turn into his pigs' feed.

Hard to believe, but it's not one of the better-known neighborhoods in the city. People know it's here, obviously, but not many know it's called Swillburg. In fact, there's only two types of people who know its name: the type that think 'Swillburg' has a sort of quaint, historical charm, and the type that grew up in Swillburg.

I have a nice green house, with some big rooms, a damp basement, and intermittent cable problems, so I'll keep this short.

I'm glad the move is done. I still have a ton of work to do, but the house is definitely on its way to becomnig a home. And it's only one block east and three blocks south from my old digs, so I'm still close to all my favorite places.*

Maybe I'll post about the weekend move. Or maybe not.

My favorite part of the weekend, though, had nothing to do with the move: Early Sunday afternoon, I took a break and the kids and I had lunch at an outdoor cafe down the street. The highlight of the meal was watching my kids practice their spit takes.

What a great life I have.

Yeharr

*and in the case of Ming noodles, it's waaaay closer: 233 steps away. Yes I counted. Yum

9 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Sounds like the name of a fraternity row. Hope the neighborhood is a bit quieter.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How nice that you are still close to what makes you comfortable.

Your whacked if you counted the steps :P

2:07 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

I thought you were going to say the local drunks knew it was called Swillburg!

That's neat that you could move such a short distance -- your kids must be happy about that. We still have boxes unpacked from our move 2 years ago. I'd be curious to hear when you get your last box done. :)

Anyway, congrats on the move --

8:40 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

SWILLBURG! Awesome!

I also liked the link to the tour of the neighbourhood. You've got some groovy places to haunt around there. Whar the heck do ya live anyways????

10:45 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

wow
swillsburg

and now i know what a spit-take is

have a great week!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

What exactly were your kids drinking?
Please tell me water...spit takes with soda are the worse!

Glad the move was successful.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

jessica--i guess swillburg is preferable to the more aptly-named pukeburg.

dusty--I'm whacked whether I count the steps or not.

notso--after we get all the basic stuff done (hanging blinds, setting up the home theater, et c.), we are going to unpack one box a night. No more, no less. We'll toss out the stuff no one wants, incorporate the stuff we want to use into our household, and put the rest either back into storage or into a garage sale corner of the attic. Each kid gets a quarter a box per night, and an extra .25 if we go seven days in a row without stopping.

heidi--I live in the Swillburg section of Smugtown. Sort of a contradiction in terms, I know, but there ya have it.

colleen--isn't learning great? next week, we'll discuss riffs and callbacks. there'll be a test. it will count.

x--it was vermouth. neat. no, it was water, although spit takes with milk are far more...visually interesting, let us say. but, like i said, this was merely practice.

yeharr

5:13 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Sounds lovely...

10:33 AM  
Blogger mal said...

I love little bits of local lore. An amazing name for a place.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home