Friday, November 24, 2006

"In This Family, We All Wear a Little Thanksgiving"

The title of this post is a direct quote from #3 son, and truer words were never spoken, since there's not an article of clothing worn today that's not been spot-treated. I'm too full and too tired to post anything that even remotely resembles witty commentary,* so I just thought I'd do a quick photo essay of the day.**

Two days of thawing the bird in brine, plus another 6 hours of sitting in the fridge in a garbage bag with a rub of salt, cayenne pepper, sugar and garlic powder. I started the hardwood charcoal burning at 7AM, and sat the bird over a catch basin with a 50/50 mix of water and apple cider. I kept the cooking temperature around 250, and the sucker was ready at 4:30.

Me and the smartass.I know, I know--he looks just like me. Luckily for him, he also has a personality. He seems to have my comic timing, and his mother's voice (she comes from a musical family; one of his aunts trained to be an opera singer). So he has the skills, and if he has the desire, I have no doubt that he could have a long and successful career as a waiter.
Puddle and STBEW both stopped by for dinner.
Which made the youngsters quite happy.
Even though STBEW brought along her friend.

Actually, I didn't mind. It reinforces the fact that we're not together, which is fine with me. He made black-eyed peas in hamhocks, and helped with dishes, so it was cool to have him there. Plus, it tipped the balance of power in the battle for TV supremacy; we had football on in the living room, and the kids watched cartoons in my bedroom.

And Puddle never travels without the sauce.
Plus STBEW makes awesome pies. #3 son loves the sweet potato and pumkin pies.

While my daughter is all about the fruit.

We picked the apples yesterday, but not all of them made it into the pies.


I have a lot to be thankful for this year. I'm thankful that I have four healthy kids, and I'm thankful that this is STBEW's third consecutive Thanksgiving clean and sober. I'm also thankful that I've met so many wonderful, witty and warm people in the blogging community. Thanks to all of you for being in my life.

Yeharr
*I know, I know--when have I ever?

**I'm sure there's some way to format this fershlugginer blorg so that the pictures better lined up with the commentary, but right now I couldn't give a flying fig.

8 Comments:

Blogger Madame X said...

I've got to admit...very cute family you have there!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my gosh, you really did have the Whole Fam Damily! That is beautiful! I mean, everybody looks so happy, and you know what, I think it's nice that STB brought her guy. Because why can't we all get along, right?

And I have to say...dang you must be a hell of a great cook. I think I could taste the turkey all the way up here.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

looks like an awesome turkey day
glad you had one

3:15 PM  
Blogger ell said...

glad you had such a nice holiday.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

We did a brine too; good choice. I'll have to give the cayenne pepper a try. We opted for a few pieces of citrus fruit in the "marinade."

Glad youur family was all in good spirits. That's no small feat over the holidays.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! that must have been one GREAT turkey!

I see so many people get wound up in their own bitterness over their problems that they forget the significance of the moment. Obviously you do not have that problem.

Thank you *S*

8:34 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Looks and sounds like a wonderful day BP. You're a good bloke, as we would say down here.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I wish I had the time/skill/energy to cook as well as you!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home