Saturday, July 21, 2007

Portland and Starburst


That's the closest I could get my daughter to the proper terminology for right and left on a boat.

I'm back from vacation and wish I was still there. I bought a lottery ticket, and if I had won I think I would have called the owners and asked them how much would it cost for them to just not come back.

At any rate, I think I'll post a few pics per day, making this the worlds longest vacation slide show.


That's the view from just above the dock, stitched together by the free software that came with my camera. I think I'll repost it after I photoshop it. And if I wasn't such a Luddite, I might even put this picture up as a masthead for the blog.
testing the waters
Took this one about ten minutes after we arrived. They couldn't wait to get into the water. I just noticed they aren't wearing their swimming shoes. Those are now required footwear in the finger lakes, due to the growing infestation of razor-sharp zebra mussels.

Outside of that, the water was great.

The water was about 15' deep at the float. The lake goes down about 240' at its deepest points, which starts about 50' further out. The lake's about a mile wide here.

They're both excellent swimmers, but they liked playing with the noodles. They invented dozens of different dives and falls.
the evening begins
We regularly swam right up to (and sometimes past) sunset. Sometimes the only way to get them out of the water, though, was the promise of S'mores around a campfire.

The firepit was a regular nighttime hangout. It came with a thick plywood cover. Our first night there, I waited until I was sure the fire was out, and I placed the cover over it, and went to bed.

The next morning, there was little but blackened bits of plywood lying on the scorched firebricks.
Oops. Luckily, the folks next door are the parents of a co-worker, and he had a nice piece of plywood that he cut down to replace the burnt one.

More pics later.

yeharr

5 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

omigod, those are gorgeous pictures. i'm very jealous.

and the pics of your kids jumping off the float scream "summer." and "childhood."

glad you had a great time.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Timmy said...

looks like an awesome time!

9:07 AM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i can feel the peace and the connection with your kids from here

i am so happy for you

1:31 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

What a great time! I think it's funny that you burned the fire pit cover!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Brilliant pics of your kids, love funny faces, here is mine...

;=&

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home