Thursday, September 20, 2007

Big Movie Weekend

Tonight: Big.

Tomorrow night: Big Trouble.

Sunday night: Big Trouble in Little China.


I tried to think of ways to bring Big Night, Big Fish, and The Big Lebowski into the mix, but they just didn't have the flow of these three. Besides, I think they'll have to wait 'ti the kids are a bit older.

Have you seen these films? You should. I'm sure everyone knows about Big--the young boy who wishes he was big, and then turns into Tom Hanks. Hard for me to believe that this movie is twenty years old, and the kid who played Josh--David Moscow-- is now one year older than Hanks was when he made the film. I remember wondering at the time if he would grow up to look like Tom. Did he? You decide:



Big Trouble is a hilarious ensemble flick. Take a look at who's in the cast: Tim Allen, Renee Russo, Stanley Tucci, Tom Sizemore, Janeane Garafalo, Patrick Warburton, Jason Lee, et c. It's based on a hilarious novel by Dave Barry. It's directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, who did, among other things, The Addams Family and Men in Black. Yet it barely blipped at the Box Office. It had the unfortunate luck to be a comedy that involved a bomb on an airplane (among many, many other things) that was scheduled for release in September, 2001. Not good timing.

And Big Trouble in Little China is regularly listed as the favorite film by just about everybody who worked on it. Kurt Russell plays his swaggering hero role for laughs in a great comedy-action film, and I'd watch it just to see Kim Cattrall in cheongsam. Yum.

What are YOU doing this weekend?

yeharr

10 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I love Big Trouble!! That movie cracks me up

11:46 AM  
Blogger terry said...

i adore big...absolutely adore it... and stop to watch parts of it every time it's on cable.

thanks for that pic. he doesn't look like tom at all now!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Building a deck.

Well...I'm not. I can't really be trusted with tools.

I just overheard a phone conversation regarding pizza and beer. Could be good.

4:36 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

It's really cool that you do this!

6:45 AM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i think big trouble in little china is hysterical - many of my friends think i am weird

i love the themed movie weekend idea - i will steal it without attribution

10:40 AM  
Blogger john said...

I thought Big Trouble was pretty funny. It's a shame that it never got its due. I guess the title refers to the release problems and delays, not a general plot summary...

I haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China in a long time, but I remember liking it a lot in my younger years. Is it just me, though, or was Raiden in Mortal Kombat a total ripoff from the lightning guy in that movie?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

I went outside. Better than staying inside. But for those few moments I was inside I read Good Omens by T. Pratchett and N. Gaiman. Good stuff.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Sat: A 2-year-old's birthday party.
Sun: A 3-year-old's birthday party.
Mon-Fri: Enjoy the relative peace and quiet of teaching.

1:00 AM  
Blogger mal said...

"Big Trouble" is a CLASSIC! I laugh whenever I see it

We worked on old cars this week. Hard to think of that as a family affair but I guess it works in a family with 2 engineers and a wanna be farmer *G*

2:34 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

I had one hell of a weekend-- Homecoming (ugh), and the new Halloween movie (which wasn't all that bad), just to name a few things :0)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home