Thursday, February 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Fred

The first promise I made to you was twelve years ago, today.
I held you, marveling at your strength--just born, but already pushing, testing.
I pulled you close, and whispered in your ear:
"I will fight bears for you."
Bears are in short supply, but there are other dangers out there.
We will face them without fear.
We will have fun facing them
And, too soon, you will face them alone.
But that's okay. You're strong.
But if you ever come across any bears, you know where to find me.
I love you, Frederick Arthur.

Happy Birthday

Dad.

yeharr

7 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

pirate, you're killing me here!

they're lucky to have you as their daddy. truly.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

how do you think I feel?

yeharr

2:25 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

That kid just LOOKS like a comic genius! Look at the little smirk on his face! Absolutely loveable.

This is a good month in your family eh?

Fred: I hope you enjoy being 12!!! Happy birthday!

11:29 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Very sweet!

7:06 AM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

good dad

good kids

11:18 AM  
Blogger Olly said...

Awww. What a great dad!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

was it the power of suggestion or did that cat look like a bear?

Happy b-day Fred!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home