Monday, December 10, 2007

So There I Was...

Wandering around the store, looking for Christmas lights. We finally got the tree, and had it set up, only to discover that every string of light that I owned had huge areas of blackouts. Of course, these were all the same lights I used two years ago. I should learn that the best one can hope for with these two-buck-a-box lights is two seasons.

Let's see if I remember in 2009.

Where was I? Oh yeah--There.

So there I was, wandering around the store, looking for Christmas lights. In my wandering, I noticed a woman--a female clerk--also wandering around, doing a bit of reshopping. The item in her hand was a lamp. One of those small, folksy 20-watt jobbers that women of a certain age and background tend to buy and place on things like small tables in upstairs hallways, or on top of cisterns in the downstairs powder room. She obviously didn't know where these lamps were being displayed, so she was wandering around, holding it in front of her, and searching, searching...

It may surprise you, but I'm not a smooth guy with the ladies. Opening lines don't come easy to me. I need an 'in' to strike up a conversation, and here was one, dropped into my lap. How many times do I get an opportunity like this? It was just handed to me--right out of the blue. I had to go for it.

"Looking for an honest man, Diogenes?" I asked.

She looked at me like a dog watching a card trick. "Umm. No. I just need to put this lamp back on the right shelf."

I then had to show her where the shelf was.

Perhaps I need a lamp, too.

yeharr

6 Comments:

Blogger Guy Wonders said...

Good one. . . . .

6:09 PM  
Blogger Cranky Yankee said...

Really, how many store clerks in America do you think would get a Diogenes reference?

7:12 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

LOL
shame that was wasted on her

i hate those little lamps. my MIL buys me that crap

8:34 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

There has GOT to be a woman out there who gets the Diogenes reference and thinks it's right slick.

(Uh, thanks for the link. Now I know.)

10:37 AM  
Blogger terry said...

okay, that's hilarious.

sadly, i think there are plenty of people in higher-ranking jobs (for lack of a better phrase) who wouldn't get the diogenes reference...! plenty of college grads wouldn't get it!

now i'm sad.

2:35 AM  
Blogger ell said...

smooth move romeo.

had i been the woman with the lamp, all you would have gotten was a blank stare.

thanks for "enlightening" me!

;)

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home