Monday, January 09, 2006

Get Out in That Kitchen & Rattle them Pots & Pans

One of my regular stops on the internet is over at Indygirl's blog. She left us with a bit of a cliffhanger as to what she was going to give 'The Farmer'* for his birthday. She promised it was the least romantic gift on the planet.

No, it wasn't fifty pounds of cat litter and a dust-vac.**

It was pots and pans. I was just as surprised as you are. I think it's a terrific gift.

In fact, one of the best presents STBEW ever gave me was exactly the same thing. A full set--including a double boiler, a saute pan, and a dutch oven. Which is one of the handiest damn vessels a cook can have.

I was so happy about those damn pots and pans, I told everyone about them. Especially the dutch oven. Sometimes in strange situations.

One situation was while I was working a ball game. I do a bunch of freelance television work--mostly sports-related stuff. One regular gig is directing closed-circuit coverage for our local professional baseball club.

I love baseball. But there can be quite a bit of 'down time' between pitches. Especially in the early innings of a game when there's not a lot of hits.

So the camera operators and I chatted. We do that every game. And since I had just recieved this gift, I spent a lot of time talking about how happy I was to get a dutch oven.

What I did not know was that there was more than one usage of the phrase 'dutch oven.'

Did you?

Wikipedia quite tactfully describes it thusly: The dutch oven is also a slang name for a practical joke played on bedmates by restraining them under the covers of a bed after one has passed gas.

As I said, I was unaware of that usage. And one of my camera operators was familiar with that phrase, but unaware of the cookware. Hey, he was 21 at the time, and fresh out of college. Cooking to him involved a box of macaroni and a microwave. He was a good operator, but for some reason, when I was raving about how happy I was to get a dutch oven for my birthday from my wife, he was unable to hold a steady shot.

Because he was convulsing in laughter.

It took a bit of time--at least a half an inning, but we got that straightened out, and we each left that day with increased word power.

But it took a while before I could use that one particular pan.

Yeharr

*Indy's nickname for her Significant Other.***
**That was my guess, too!

***Because he plows her field.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I've got one in the Dutch Oven...

4:31 AM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

That is a great gift! I have a double boiler that was part of my first anniversary gift that is also very handy in the kitchen.

But my favorite and most useful gift from my husband (other than this laptop I am using right now) is an air-powered brad nailer. I smile and think "what a cool present" every time I use it.

Thank you for the alternate Dutch oven definition -- I prefer the cooking implement if given the choice!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Say it in Dutch said...

Well, I am Dutch, and I have an oven, but it beats me what a 'Dutch oven' is supposed to be in cooking... And I didn't know the wikipedia joke either....And I am 46 years old. I think I go visit Wikipedia now ;-)


Greetings,

Yorien
www.sayitindutch.com

4:32 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

So what DO you cook in a Dutch oven? I either avoid those recipes or drastically alter the expected results.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home