Monday, July 24, 2006

Save Ferris. For Me.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding the movies I want to watch on DVD anymore. I guess it's just a sign of age. Both mine, and the ages of the movies.

'Big.' 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off.' 'My Favorite Year.' 'The Big Chill.' All classics. God, I feel old writing that. These were movies of my adulthood, now so far out of mainstream that it's a struggle just to find them.

Take, f'rinstance, 'Big Trouble in Little China.' Actually, don't take it. If you see a copy let me know. It's MINE!

Most movie rental places don't have them either, and if they do, they're so scratched up that they're nigh unto unwatchable.

Or, when I CAN find it, it's part of a two disc 'commemorative' package with crap I don't want.

I saw 'Silverado' on the racks the other day, but it was gussied up with a whole bunch of 'special features' that I'll never watch, and included a deck of playing cards. For $22.50. Playing cards I got. What I want is to hear Sherrif John Langston say "As you may have guessed, I am not from these here parts."

Playing cards? Why? It's not like they're even a big part of the movie. It might make a bit more sense to include them in a 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' collection, but THAT one's already going for $40.

And this is important. I try to watch one or two movies a week with my kids. Often, it's just the new stuff, and that's ok. But I want to show them the movies I've enjoyed in my life, to see them again through their eyes.

And, frankly, to show them how many of the current comedy bits have been ripped off.

So, I search. I managed to track down 'Ferris Bueller' in a grocery store. We watched it tonight. He looks just the same as he always did.

And it's only slightly disconcerting to realize when Ed Rooney says 'Fifteen years from now, when he looks over the shambles of his adult life, I want him to realize it was me that brought him down,' he's talking about five years ago.

Yeharr

7 Comments:

Blogger Madame X said...

Ferris Bueller the movie is 20 years old?
Damn.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

8:29 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

I worked in a video store 16 years ago. Man, I haven't seen Silverado in ages!

I don't watch enough movies. Partly because I'm forcing myself to finish this novel I'm working on, and partly because I keep forgetting to return them on time. I've started buying them used for under ten bucks, because if you watch them twice they're paid for.

Now Jethro tells me there'll be this video on demand thing soon, and then I wonder why I'm spending anything! So confusing.

I loved Ferris Bueller. I never bagged off school as gloriously as he did!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I found a copy of 'Big Trouble in Little China' at the rental store a wile back.

Damn thing had a scratch on it that stopped it dead in the middle of the Egg Shen/Lo Pan battle.

Waddya say, X? I'll be your Jack Burton if you'll be my Gracie Law.

Heidi--the problem with used is quality control. Just like that copy of 'BTiLC,' there's always a possibility that it's going to crap out on you at an inopportune time.

And as far as VoD, it's great. Except there's only about twenty or so titles on it at any one time. You can get a great selection of newer movies on it, but the older flicks are sort of catch-as-catch-can.

Yeharr

3:25 PM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Would you just stop rubbing your body up against mine, because I can't concentrate when you do that.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Okay, I get the picture White Tigers, Lords of Death, guys in funny suits throwing plastic explosives while poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake, huh? Sure, okay, I see Charlie Chan, Fu Manchu and a hundred howlin' monkey temples, and that's just for starters, right? Fine! I'm back! I'm ready, goddammit let me at 'em!

Yeharr

5:20 PM  
Blogger mal said...

I always thought Kurt Russel was kind of hot. I do love his understated comedic style and "Big Trouble in Little China" was great.

The OH loves the movie too,,,just don't let it out I think Kurt is hot
*L*

6:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Big Trouble in Little China was made into a computer game.

It was rubbish but you got to be Kurt Russell.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home