Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Updated 7:36 pm 8/21/06
WE HAVE A WEDNESDAY!

Picked the kids up from camp today. They were happy to see me, but they're exhausted.

Cool.

The bus got in a half-hour late, in other words: right on time. No one ever expects the bus from camp to arrive on time, do they?

So while I was waiting, I listened to the radio, and "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" comes on. I wondered if this was planned by some DJ who thought it was cool to play a Sunday song on a Sunday.*

More likely, it was just plopped there by the Indiscriminate Song Selector used by some stations to make it seem like there's someone in the soulless bowels of Corporate Radio who actually gives a shit about the music.

One time, I heard "Psycho Killer" played right after "Strawberry Fields Forever." Think about it.

Anyhow.

I started thinking about songs with days in them. I tried to think of at least one title for each day. I haven't come up with all of them yet, and some days have more than one song.

I'm sure there's more out there. Can you come up with any? I'd say no fair Googling to come up with song titles, but I have no way of enforcing that. However, it is fair to Google the names of songs you know to confirm the artist (and also that it's really the name of the song. After all, the real name of Simon & Garfunkle's "Feeling Groovy" is "The 59th Street Bridge Song."***), or to find out the artists name if you don't know it.

Here's the list so far:

SUNDAY:
  • "Sunday, Bloody Sunday"-U2
  • "Sunday's Will Never Be the Same" -Spanky and Our Gang***
  • “Sunday Morning” - Maroon 5 (thanx, Åsa!)
  • “Sunday morning break-up” - Christian Walz (thanx, Åsa!)
  • "Gloomy Sunday" - Billie Holliday (thanx again, Åsa!)
  • "Every Day is Like Sunday" - Morrisey (thanx, Dear Lovey Heart!)

MONDAY:
Which led me to remember:
  • "Blue Monday" -Huey Lewis & the News
  • "Blue Monday, Blue Day" - Foreigner

TUESDAY:

WEDNESDAY:
  • "Wednesday Morning, 3AM" - Simon & Garfunkle!

THURSDAY:

FRIDAY:
  • "Friday (I'm in Love)" -The Cure
  • "Friday Night" - The Darkness (thanx, Heidi!)

SATURDAY:
  • "Another Saturday Night" -Cat Stevens
  • "Saturday Night" -Bay City Rollers***
  • "Mister Saturday Night Special" -Lynrd Skynrd
  • "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting"- Elton John
  • "The Heart of a Saturday Night" -Tom Waits
  • "Saturday Night" - Earth Wind & Fire (thanx, Dear Lovey Heart!)

As you can see, Saturday's got a commanding lead. Understood, since it is the most anticipated evening of the week. But there's got to be more Friday songs than that. And someone, somewhere must have written about Wednesdays and Thursdays. Dontcha think?

If ya got any songs, let me know. I'll put them in here, and attribute them to your brain.

And if you're even thinking about contributing "Everybody's Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy, don't.

Yeharr

*You know the type--the sort that plays the Doors' "Riders of the Storm" everytime it rains.**
**OK--so maybe they don't do that anymore. They did it in the 1980's.***
***No, I'm not an old fart.****
****Am not.

19 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

I Don't like Mondays- Boomtown Rats.A personal favourite.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Åsa said...

I hade made a Sunday play list on my RealPlayer, but I have changed computer since so I don’t remember all the songs. But here are a few: “Sunday morning” by Maroon 5, “Sunday morning break-up” by Christian Walz, “Superbowl Sunday” by a cool LA/Cuban(?) band (listen to the whole CD!). I also had a version of Lionel Richies “Easy” because the text is “easy like a Sunday morning”, but it was with this hardcore rock band singer (don’t remember the name). The version was still a soft nice song to listen to on a Sunday morning.

And you know this British very young guy who was popular a few years ago? He had this song where he sang all the weekdays. It was about dating a girl.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Can't believe I forgot that one, Biddie. Thanks

Asa (I don't know what keystroke gives me the 'a' with the circle over it): I'm adding the first two. Not sure who that last performer is, so not using it.

And I believe the song about all the weekdays is "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure. Thanks

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

"Manic Monday" the Bangles

9:08 AM  
Blogger Clint said...

Wish it was Sunday. Cuz that's my fun-day.

I've just got another Monday song. Still wracking my brain for a Wed-Fri song: "Blue Monday" by New Order.

10:36 AM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

Monday, Monday - Mamas and the Papas

Ruby Tuesday - Stones

Tuesday Afternoon - Moody Blues

and do i get a hit with bonus point for "Eight Days A Week" by the beatles?

12:15 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

How about Ruby Tuesday? can't believe that I forgot that one..

12:47 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, Biddie! You should have known that one!

The young british guy with the dating song was by Craig David. It's called 7 Days.

Here's a total killer from the Darkness! It's called Friday Night but it has everything!

Monday cycling
Tuesday gymnastics
Dancing on a Friday night
I got Bridge Club on Wednesday
Archery on Thursday
Dancing on a Friday night


Oh but there's more:
Monday rowing
Tuesday badminton
Dancing on a Friday night
I got pingpong on Wednesday
Needlework on Thursday
Dancing on a Friday night
With you, with you!


You should hear the English lispy sibilance on "pingpong" Bloody brilliant.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Good one Jessica.

Clint: It's my 'I-don't-have-to-run' day. I don't know New Order, so I looked up the lyrics, thinking it might be a cover of Huey Lewis & the News' 'Blue Monday' (which is itself not a cover of Foreigner's 'Blue Monday, Blue Day'), but it's not.

I can't use Firefox at work, and Blogger doesn't like Safari, or vice-versa, and it's too frickin' slow to write html code, so I'll finish the updates later.

Cadbury: Already have 'Monday Monday', but thanks for the others. I'll add them this evening. Hang in there. I'm pulling for ya.

Biddie--Cadbury just mentioned it, so he gets the nod.

Hick--what sort of person puts lyrics in their comments? How rude!

Yeharr

2:22 PM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Ok – I’m home and I’ve checked my CDs. Heidi is right: I meant Craig David. As for the rock group that did a cover on “I’m easy”: it’s Faith No More. A super version of that song! As for the LA something group: it’s Ozomatli. Cool music and each song on their CD is very different from the next one. Since I like Sundays there is also a song that Billie Holiday sings: “Gloomy Sunday”. The group Nickelback has a song called “Saturday night’s alright (for fighting)”.

(I wish I could stop thinking of this now. I have things I have to do!)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Dear Lovey Heart said...

everyday is like sunday--morrissey

5:50 PM  
Blogger Dear Lovey Heart said...

wait i am not done Tuesday's Heartbreak-Stevie Wonder
Tuesday's Dead-Cat Stevens

Saturday Night- Earth Wind and Fire

5:54 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

I know and like most of those songs and I'm 28, so you're right, you are not an old fart.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Thursday's Child-David Bowie and YES I pulled it out of my hootie-hoo!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

I didn't know 'New Order' either until I looked up the song for verification. A cover of the song was popular a few years ago by the group 'Orgy'.

I don't normally do techno, or whatever that song is, but I thought it had a catchy beat. Apparently it's a classic, by some standards.

1:05 PM  
Blogger elaine said...

You don't know New Order?

Please tell me you've at least heard of Joy Division? New Order was formed by the surviving members of Joy Division after the death of Ian Curtis.

Blue Monday is an iconic indie/electronic track that is all the more remarkable as it hasn't dated the way most early electronica has.

7:07 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

I have another:

Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

by Queen

can't believe i didn't think of that the first time round (one of the albums i've listened to most often in my life [right beside dark side of the moon and crime of the century]

8:25 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

I'm a latecomer to this but...

Sunday Morning - Velvet Underground (THE ORIGINAL! Maroon 5 - PAH! Though theirs might not be a cover of this, I dunno, because I never listen to them).

Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats (big in the UK and Australia but perhaps not in the US - though I think Bowie did a cover of this on "PinUps", which you guys might know)

11:02 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

uh dude?
sudbury saturday night by stompin tom connors.

i mean come on.

as for wednesday? uh... i like melanie's version of ruby tuesday better?

*pointless segue*

:)

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home