Thursday, March 23, 2006

On Apples and their Relative Distance from the Tree

Two pieces of information about my kids were revealed to me yesterday:

  1. My 10-year-old son's teacher, who is amazed by my child, will on occasion call me to tell me what he's doing next.* Her latest news: he's starting a comedy club in his class. He's been auditioning kids for the roles of MC, featured performer ('middler,' in the parlance), and bouncer. He'll be the headliner, all though what he really wants to do is improv.** That's my boy. Tip your waitress, try the peanut-butter and banana sandwiches!
  2. My 8-year-old daughter and her friends Samia, Ciera, Eve, and Tanisha, are starting a fashion magazine. Her job is to design the cover, and tell the other girls what to write ('editor,' in the parlance). Except for Samia, because they're using her computer and printer (I believe that would make her the publisher).
They never fail to astound me. I will be doing my best not to be a stage dad for my son. My daughter has no worries. The world of fashion is completely beyond me, so she's on her own.***


Yeharr

*I'm guessing she does this just to make sure she's not imagining things.
**UPDATE: Turns out he's going to middle. TJ's funnier than he is. I found this out at dinner last night.
***As the youngest child, growing up with three older brothers, their (mostly male) friends and (mostly male) cousins, one would think that she would adopt some masculine attitudes--the 'tomboy' effect. But she never did. From when she was old enough to walk, she loved to wear hats, and carry purses. Yes, she was a girl, but how did she know?

7 Comments:

Blogger elaine said...

Your kids sound something to be really proud of.

My best bird grew up in a super practical environment, two brothers and her holidays were spent touring Europe in a Kombi. She ALWAYS wore pink and sparkly things.

Still does, actually. She doesn't know how come either.

I guess that's one of the fun things about small people. How do they have such distinct personalities? And, more to the point, where on Earth did they get them?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

It's all in the genes. I'm guessing your daughter takes after your STBEW or some other woman in your family. My daughter is very much like my sister, but nothing like me. (They share the same name as well!)

Sounds like your son is a chip off the 'ole block! That's great!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Kids are awesome. I don't know what the hell I was doing before they came into my life!!!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Thanks guys. I took them out to dinner tonight--they decided they wanted Indian food, and I thought of you, elaine.

We were sitting in a booth with three different idols watching us eat, and I thought of you, notso.

And heidi...well, there were no horses around, so I didn't think of you. Sorry.

Yeharr

10:41 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yes, she was a girl, but how did she know? Friends.

Regardless of the end products and the genius creativity that pours into such ideas, your kids have tapped into the best resource of all.

12:14 PM  
Blogger mal said...

they sound like a fun bunch! It appears like your daughter is coping very well with being in a male household! I expect socialization from her friends helps a lot. From experience, growing up in a male household makes for a broadening experience

Always remember that their successes are reflection of the good things you are doing
*S*

9:06 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Blog now looks great.

YAY!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home