Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Berry-Pickin' Time

One relatively blustery afternoon we decided to head to the next valley over and do us some berry pickin'.

This valley was too shallow to hold a lake for more than a few hundred thousand years, so instead we have nothing but a fertile valley perfect for farming.

Although there were still a few strawberries on the vine, we decided to go for the rasp:


I wasn't keeping a real close tally, but I'd guess that the ratio of berries picked to berries eaten was someplace around the 20:1 ratio--not too bad, really, considering how many we ended up taking home.

Here's the best reason to pick raspberries when it's a bit breezy: the yellowjackets stay closer to home:

My camera was about five inches away from the wee beasites when I took this picture. It was hard to keep the nest in the center of the frame because of the breeze. The nest was pretty deep in the bushes, too.

After we paid for the berries, we got ourselves some ice cream and sat on a swing in front of the store for a spell

I love this shot. The roof had all these little fan thingies. I'm guessing they're there to prevent humongous snow slides in the winter. Anyone know if that's true?

I can see why Heidi loves farmland. Although, truth be told, I'm happy just to visit.


yeharr

11 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

god, your kids are cute.

these are all amazing pics.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Balloon Pirate: Lovely pictures! I don’t know how to express it, but it’s like you can hear the wind and feel the tranquillity that at least I connect with farmland. And you guys got some berries :- ) Self picked tastes the best!

xxoox

6:41 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

I love EVERYTHING about this!

My parents have a tin roof on their house but they don't have any of those little fan thingies because they're very windswept in the winter- snow doesn't stay on the roof long enough to casue a massive snow slide.

Let's not think about snow right now though eh?

That roof shot is totally surreal. Love it.

Thank you for sharing those photos. What great memories for the kids!!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Timmy said...

great pics!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

my mom and i used to go strawberry picking when we lived in NC and the people at patterson's said that they were going to start weighing me and charging me for the ones i ate while i was picking. LOL

this is what i call quality time with your kids. you should try making some jam. my mom has a great recipe for refrigerator jam that is easy and safer than canning. something fun you can do with the kids

9:04 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

I'm back. Loved the pictures so much! Your kids really are adorable. But you knew that.

the countryside there reminds me a lot of southern Ontario. Oddly, only a couple of deep lakes separate us!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Meow Meow said...

The pics you have posted recently are very cool.

Glad I came by.

2:36 AM  
Blogger fatrobot said...

there will be peas in the valley

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It's good to be reminded of all the fun that can be had beyond the living room.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Great pictures! I haven't ever seen those roof thingies.

It's blueberry pickin' time around here. I always come home totally stuffed.:)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

What beautiful land! I would love to be there picking berries, too! Your children are just precious! I hope the summer has been a good one for ya'll! *hugs and love*

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home