Sunday, May 28, 2006

To Do Today

Took the kids to see X-Men 3: The Last Stand last night.

It's dark. Heroes die.

But being a comic-book movie, it's still a popcorn flick. There's totally arbitrary uses and non-uses of mutant powers, and the producers have shown that they've come across a formula that will allow them to continue the franchise without a great deal of worry about actors who no longer want to play a part--since there's so many X-Men, just focus on a new group.

There's even a nod to a certain YouTube phenomenon.

And I know it's largely done through CGI, but Kelsey Grammer does a pretty good turn as an action hero.

When we got home, it was bedtime, even for a non-school night. My son took a pencil and notebook with him.

"Whatcha writing?" I asked.

"My to do list," he said.

Sundays are our chore day. We spend about an hour and a half working together to clean the house. I know it's not much, but any more time than that and I would REALLY have to work harder the rest of the week to keep the place neat.

"That's a good thing," I told him, "what are you up to so far?"

"Number 8."

Cool. He's planning on doing eight helpful things tomorrow morning. What a great kid!

Then he read number 8: "Make afternoon To Do list."

"One of the items on your to do list is to make another To Do list?"

He looked at me like I'm the moron that I am. "Well, I don't want to forget."

So here is how the world shapes up to a ten-year-old boy, as expressed through a To Do list:

  1. Read To Do List
  2. Put on new underwear
  3. Get dressed
  4. Wake up my sister*
  5. Get cereal
  6. Start chores
  7. Finish chores
  8. Make afternoon To Do list
  9. Get clothes for tomorrow
  10. Have fun
It's great to set priorities

Yeharr

*I'm glad he decided to wait until he completed steps two and three for this one.

9 Comments:

Blogger Åsa said...

What a wonderful to-do-list! We should all have ones like that! I'm sure a lot of us would feel better if the to-do-lists (we probably have in our minds)actualy included things we can complete!

Go Son! :-)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aw..that is so great..you have a great kid..lets hope he doesn't become jaded anytime soon.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Madame X said...

*I am sure his sister is gald too!!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Madame X said...

glad!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Love the list! Only a guy would need to put the clean underwear on it!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Did the kids like X-Men 3?

1:21 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

That's so great! Doesn't it feel good to be awed by your own children!?

(I have to make a list everyday or I'm useless. It's okay. but his is much more fun that mine!)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

asa (sorry, can't do the nordic 'a'thingy-- my folks always made To Do lists on the weekends for stuff they wanted to get done. My Dad always finished everything on his list; my mother, no matter how hard he tried, always had one or two things left over.

Turns out my Dad would do a chore, then put it on a list, then cross it off.

Dusty: me too. they're great kids.

Madame: He doesn't have anything his sister hasn't seen a hundred times, and vice-versa. It's always a chore to keep clothes on those two.

Notso: oops. shoulda put it on my list too.

jess: they said they liked it, but it doesn't rank in the highest echelon of flickdom--they aren't quoting the lines back and forth to each other.

heidi--I think we should ALL put 'have fun' on our To Do lists.

Yeharr

3:14 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

it reminds me of that book everything we need to know we learn in Kindergarden... (ok that is not the official title but ik that you know what i mean! lol)

cheers! Kate

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home