Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Oy

Odds and ends for my friends:

1) What the hell is Hi-5? I recieved an invitation from a friend to join this network. Since she has been known to post some rather--ahem--interesting photographs, I eagerly joined. While filling out the information, I clicked through a screen that invited everyone I had ever emailed into the network. It wasn't until after my finger had fully depressed the mouse button that I realized what it was that I had done. It looks like it's some sort of social network. Do any of you use it on a regular basis? I'm not against social networking, but I'm a little bit suspicious of one that makes it so easy to mistakenly invite so many people. Especially when my home page shows me that I'm 'networked' to a 21-year-old lesbian girl from Columbus, Ohio, who apparently doesn't realize she's outgrown her middle school uniform--and I can't get her off my homescreen.

In my defense, I offer only that my friend takes very--ahem--interesting photographs. And as I look at her blog, it appears that she also did the exact same thing. This is very viral, and unless I hear from folks about what a good site it is, I don't think I'll be doing anything with it. Apologies to everyone who joined just because I did.

2) New post on Celery of Humanity. Go look.

3) Phone conversation Monday morning:

"What are you guys doing today?"
"Well, I'm just about to leave to help some friends move into a new house, and the kids are playing over at another friend's house while I work. Then this evening, we're going to go to the movies. Why?"
(pause)
"Can I please come over and do laundry?"
"No."
"I have no clean clothes!"
"I'm sorry."
"When can I see the kids?"
"When do you want to see them?"
(long pause. I continue)
"We've already got plans for most of Tuesday. Would Wednesday work? Tell me where you want to meet, and I'll bring the kids there for a while. I need to get my keys back from you anyhow."
(still no response. one of my biggest peeves I've had with her is her predeliction for calling me, and then not speaking.)
"I'm guessing you need more time to work this out. I need to go. Is there anything else?"
"No."
"Okay. Good-bye."

My friend Mike's view on this is that if it feels like I'm being an asshole, I'm probably doing the right thing. If that's the case, then that conversation must have been the right thing.

yeharr

5 Comments:

Blogger Cranky Yankee said...

Be strong. You are not being an asshole. You are not allowing yourself to be manipulated. That silent treatment on the phone must be infuriating. When she does it give her a silent five count, if the silence ensues, follow it up with the classic, "All-righty then."

6:39 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

no te precupa about the hi-5 thing. how could you know? i didn't invite any of my friends to join, so everything seems to be ok.

dude...get your locks changed

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing the right thing. Stay strong.

1:59 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

what everyone else said

this must be so hard for you

it is the only decision, regardless of how it must be tearing you apart

5:28 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

I got a Hi-5 invite from your address. There was something virus-ish about the way it read so I ignored it.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home