Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Whelmed

Sorry if I've been a bit distant recently. I've been a bad blogbuddy and I apologize. I've been kindasorta busy these past few days. After a month of little or nothing to do at work, everyone wants everything all at once. Clients who blew me off in January and February are now calling, wanting me to drop everything and take care of their project right now.

On top of that, the kids didn't have school yesterday because of the extreme cold, so I had to go to work, firewire a bunch of projects onto a laptop, and I worked at the dining room table until midnight--taking time off for things like playing with them, making dinner, and going to the gym, of course.

On top of on top of that is the paperwork I have to fill out for the divorce. I need to give them my net worth. Sheesh. They want to know how much I spend per month on toothpaste before they help me divorce my wife. Actually, I've been working a program to find out a lot of this stuff anyway, so I had already started some of this. It's just a drag filling it out.

And STBEW is pretending to be sane again. She's back with the other current ex-boyfriend--the one who dumped all of her stuff out onto the curb and poured shit-filled cat litter onto it.

Or, as I like to call him, the more stable of the two.

I took the kids to see her last Sunday. They were there for a bit more than an hour. The kids were quiet and unsure as I drove them to the place where she's staying, but as soon as they saw her, they ran joyfully up to her.

It broke my heart to see that. Because she is their mom, and they love her, and she loves them. And I will have to keep them far more seperated than either generation wants in order to keep them safe. And that sucks and it hurts and I'm so angry at her for putting us all in a situation like this. A situation where I have to be the 'bad' guy and regulate her contact with them.

And I believe she's going to fight it. She's going to fight against my full custody. She'll take it personally, and do everything in her power to prevent it from happening. She won't win, but she will drain my reserves down to nothing.

But that's ok. It really is. It has to be, because there's no other options.

So, I'm whelmed right now. No one ever uses 'whelmed' anymore. I'm bringing it back. It means 'to be completely submerged.'

Once upon a time, the wordguy in me railed against the usage of 'overwhelmed:' If you're completely submerged if you're whelmed, I asked, then it would be impossible to be more completely submerged. It's like something being whiter than white. Or tasting more like orange juice than orange juice. Or being north of north.

But then I got overwhelmed, and shut the fuck up.

I won't let that happen again. I'll be fine with my whelming. I'll deal with the stuff I have to do, and know that soon I will break the surface.

In the meantime, I think we all need a smile. So I'm posting one of my alltime favorite clips. This is the trailer for Comedian, a documentary that followed Jerry Seinfeld right after he ended his series, and decided to dump all of his old material. This clip is apropos of nothing--not even the movie it's shilling.

Share and enjoy.



yeharr

9 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

you aren't the bad guy, you are the hero. the one who is taking care of the situation and fixing it so everyone can be happy...except for STBEW but that's her problem

8:56 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

yeah -- what colleen said!

10:31 AM  
Blogger terry said...

yeah yeah... what colleen said again!

that trailer is hilarious. i've never seen it, and i even saw the movie itself... ON THE BIG SCREEN, even...!

i thought i was the only person who used "whelmed." i didn't even know that it's actually a word. i just thought i was being clever.

hah.

guess not.

dreams dashed yet again...

9:36 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My favorite line:

No, I like it in here.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

i think i watch too much south park. i couldn't help but scream timmeh! when i saw timmy's comment below mine

8:59 AM  
Blogger Bare said...

I'm glad that you posted-- I had been wondering what had been going on with you. I'm sorry to hear it's still so cold up there. It's in the 60's down here-- but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As for STBEW, I'm sorry she's back to her usual self again. I know how painful it has to be for both you, and the kids. You're doing the right thing for everyone involved, even though it feels like you're being the bad guy-- you're not, and in the end, everyone will see that *hugs*

3:09 PM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i wish you could use all that strength to move forward instead of just trying to keep everything from flying apart

i wish it was easier for you

3:13 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

your argument with yourself about "Overwhelmed" makes me think of the allegory of the cave

10:16 AM  
Blogger Educating Erica said...

I stumbled upon your blog just this afternoon...I'm glad I found you.
Our situations are very similar. My children see there homeless wreck of a father briefly twice a month. Hang in there sugar:)

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home